"Many people don't get what they want because they don't have the self-esteem to actually ask for it." -Mastin Kipp
The way the world is set up today it is easy for anyone to lose a large amount of their self-esteem. I lost my self esteem when I put myself in a position to be unemployed and I was not in school. I had nothing to look forward to and I was still carrying my grandmother's death with me, thinking that I could have done something to save her. Naturally, all of these emotions spelled out
After a couple of months of being in a rut, I began to dig myself out. I applied to a ton of jobs and sought advice from my mentors and I applied to be readmitted to school. I did get back into school and I went on a few interviews. Just that made me feel better.
Here are the top 5 things I did to boost my self-esteem:
- I Prayed - Prayer has always helped me to re-focus on my core beliefs and my conversations with God reveal what I am really thinking and feeling about the storm I am in at the moment.
- Exercise Helps - I decided to take a walk everyday and get some fresh air. It gave me time to listen to music (which always puts me in a meditative state) and get my blood flowing and in turn my mind working again.
- Getting to Know Me - I began to remember who I was, what I liked to do and that allowed me to feel good again.
- Set Goals - The most important thing I did was to set new goals for myself. I set short term and long term goals. The short term goals would give me the boost of confidence I would need to achieve the long term goals. Once you can set goals for yourself, you know that your mind is in a healthy state.
- Polish Your Image - Lastly, I had to take a stern look in the mirror and realize that there were parts of my physical appearance that I could change and feel better about myself. I set short term goals for my self-image in the form or new clothing, new accessories and better hair and skin care products. Long term I decided I would want to lose a certain amount of weight and that would make me healthier and feel more presentable.
In all the way you see yourself is how others will receive you. Be confident, be polished and be happy!
I did not see a change in my life until I began to ask myself to change. No one person on this earth can help you, if you do not want to help yourself. Ask for what you want and overcome your fears. Success is just a mindset away...
Have you ever experienced a moment in life when you didn't like yourself as much as you thought you should?